This week was amazing. I feel like I'm truly starting to understand how you can't do missionary work without the spirit, and you can't have the spirit without humility and charity. I am learning and changing and being humbled so I can learn more and change again.
There is no better place to practice Christlike attributes than when you're sharing the gospel, because there is no way to do missionary work without them. What makes the best missionaries the best isn't what they do per se, but really it's who they are. If you aren't humble, patient, charitable and full of love, faithful, full of hope for your investigator, then why are you there? Really, why? To talk at people? The Lord doesn't need us to do, he needs us to BECOME. And sometimes that becoming happens as we do, and sometimes that doing happens because of who we become. But the two must go hand in hand, this is what I'm really starting to grasp although I've known it for a long time. Better than what you have is what you do, but better than what you do is who you are.Below is my theme scripture of the past two weeks. I found it as I was searching humility in PMG and I love it.
D&C 67:10 "And again, verily I say unto you that it is your privilege, and a promise I give unto you that have been ordained unto this ministry, that inasmuch as you strip yourselves from jealousies and fears, and humble yourselves before me, for ye are not sufficiently humble, the veil shall be rent and you shall see me and know that I am—not with the carnal neither natural mind, but with the spiritual."
When I read it, it was speaking right to me. "You are not sufficiently humble Sister Hill." YEP. Never am, but when I try--Oh Man. SO GOOD. The spirit comes. I need to strip myself of jealousies of my companion or other missionaries, strip myself of fears that the person I'm talking to won't want to hear my message. I need to stop thinking I have all the good thoughts, and I need to listen: to my companion--her thoughts are of worth; my investigator--her thoughts are of worth; and the spirit--His thoughts are definitely of worth.
Once again, this week was full of miracles as a few of my potential investigators turned into investigators, and as people at the food bank shared thoughts of their heart with me and want me to share more of the gospel with them. As we pray for more investigators, they come. Mostly Sister Wu is doing the praying for the newbies to come--she is full of faith.
It is definitely turing to fall in Canada, but I don't think the library understands that because their AC is still on and I am freezing!!!! What is the weather like in the southland?Transfer calls were this week..... and the verdict is... Sister Wu and I are staying here together in YSA! Can you believe I've already been here for six weeks? I can't. I'm so glad we're staying though. YSA is SUCH a blessing. Honestly I don't know how I'm going to relate to middle-aged people when I leave. Yesterday we got it approved to watch "The Other Side of Heaven" as a YSA activity and it was the best thing of my life. All four of us (Elder Mohlman and Elder Erickson included) were glued to the screen except for when they kissed in the beginning the elders were all "Don't look! Don't look!" HA:) Tonight we're having a bonfire. YES.
Funny/Awkward Moments of the week:
-I literally just walked in on someone buttoning their pants in the washroom... OOPS.
-I got asked out on date by a man with a very red face, blond hair and a bald spot last Monday when we volunteered at the Siloam Mission; it's a homeless shelter. (Different guy than the man at the food bank). That was awkard to talk my way out of...
-Our only male investegator tried to hug sister Wu and I. Sister Wu freaked out and I just gave him an awkard shoulder tap... I think we'll have to explain that we can't hug him...
Also, I've had some questions about the hockey presence here... It's basically like football in the states as far as I'm aware. I just haven't really talked or found out a lot about since that's not really why I'm here. Some guys at the homeless shelter talked about it together, and that's really all I've seen of it.
Well, I'm glad to say that I'm making memories everyday and I hope you are too. Everyday has good things to offer if you focus on the positive. Recently Sister Wu and I have made it a goal to find and record a funny moment of everyday, and it makes everything so much better when you can just laugh about it. So laugh and live it up.
Much Love, Sister Hill
No comments:
Post a Comment