Thursday, September 12, 2013

News of the Week


Time just flies. I've already been in the mission field for a month and it's already September. How did that happen? Does it feel like it's flying by just for me or for everyone back at home too?

This week was a blur. Got hit on by a fifty-year old First Nations man at the U of W food bank. He totally had the Canadian Ghetto accent and would not stop talking. Canadian Ghetto is sort of like valley girl but a lot lower and slower and with out so many uses of the word "like"... The experience was so uncomfortable. I almost hit on the Plan of Salvation so I could feel like it wasn't just him trying to flirt with me and then he changed the subject again. He talked about magic tricks for like 15 minutes. Then the subject changed to music. Finally I decided it was really time to go.

"Ok, I'm going to go. Will you be here next week?" Don't ask me why I asked this. I was just trying to end the conversation nicely.

"Um... well, yeah. I mean I could be... Will you be here next week?"

"Yeah."

"Ok... See you next week."

I don't even want to know. Maybe next week I can atually talk about the Plan of Salvation, if he'll let me talk for more than 5 seconds.

Thursday was exchanges. I was with Sister Rush. She kind of lives on in infamy around here as the intense missionary. Yeah, she's intense, but I had a good experience. She's a really good conversationalist, and really very professional in a good way when talking with others. There was one time though, we approached this 40-year-old lady in a lime green bikini with frizzy-sticking-out-blonde-80's-hair and these great headphones from the 90's. It was truly like taking a blast from the past. I went to hand her a pass-along card and she started yelling at me telling her that I was harassing her and that Canada was a free country and that she could wear a bikini if she wanted to. I was just about to back away but then Sister Rush started confronting her. Like five times. Seriously, if someone starts yelling at you about the bikini you weren't judging them for you just walk away and move on. Luckily I eventually got sister Rush to walk away and we met this really nice Jewish lady named Norreet who grew up in Poland and her daughter Ronnie who lived in Israel most of the time. We were just walking by and they actually just invited us to sit with them without us even saying anything. They were so nice and we talked about religion and life and people and just had a nice Rosh Hashanah together. (Sorry I'm not sure how to spell it. It's Jewish New Year.)

Later that day we met a family from the Congo on our way to drop something off at an investigator's and they invited us into their house without us even asking (Well the mom and a few of her kids that were home). We were just talking in their front yard and the invited us in and we gave a lesson about the Book of Mormon. The spirit was SO strong in that house. The family is already very religious because the dad is a Pentecostal pastor and they loved hearing about the Book of Mormon so much they asked for five more in English, three in French, and two in Swahili, because there are 11 people in the family! We ended by the mom giving a prayer in Swahili. SO GOOD.

Then, miracle of miracles, yesterday four less-active and two new investigators came to church. We only knew about one of the less-actives beforehand. Holy cow. One of the new investegators was our friend Deji from the foodbank. He came straight from waking up on the street downtown after being drunk the night before so he was pretty hungover, but he still came! Luckily I had some snacks to give him after sacrament meeting and he stayed for all three meetings.

Yep. That's pretty much it except for this was a big YSA week because we're celebrating institute starting up again. Sister Wu and I did a great musical ensemble using canned food for the talent show. Pretty great.

But amongst all this craziness I am learning spiritual things, I promise. I am loving the Book of Mormon more and more everyday, and I am learning the power of spiritually feasting upon the word of Christ everyday. I encourage you to dedicate some of your time every morning when you first wake up to do more scripture study. Don't do it in chapters, but do it in an amount of time you set to study EVERYDAY. If you study for an amount of time you can really feast rather than saying to yourself, "How fast can I get through this chapter?" This--scripture study--is the way we can be strong in a world that is so confused. Do you want spiritual strength? You should, because it brings happiness more than probably any worldy item.

Thanks to everyone that has written me. I truly do appreciate it. Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment