Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dirt Roads, Potholes, and Geriatrics​

My life is currently filled with streets that with suddenly be unpaved, even though they're on the map, bumpy roads, and old people that have lots of word of wisdom issues... and cats. Yep.  That's what life has turned into since YSA days.  But it has also turned into beautiful families, actually getting meal appointments for real food, and people randomly giving you things that you really appreciate and need without you even telling them to.  This ward is SO GREAT!  

Since my life from now on is going to consist of weekly road trips as STL, we thought why not start this past week and take a trip out to Morlach and Chaplin, small towns almost an hour away, and see the members there.  THEY WERE SO CUTE!!!!! The towns, I mean.... I guess the people too.  The people are great, I would call them funny, lovable, and intriguing but not cute... anyways.  Honestly,  I am so glad God called me to this area.  He knows I need to do appointments in small, tiny towns an hour away to remind me of the times I would go on sales rep road trips with my mom and regain my SANITY!  It is the best.

This week has produced a lot of miracles.  Sister Rush was getting really frustrated that we weren't seeing any success as far as indicators, but on both Saturday night and Sunday night after long days of trying to track down formers and smart knocking around the area, we found many potentials and two new investigators!  Saturday was honestly my second time tracting EVER, and Sister Rush put me on the spot to try and say something new.  So when a young man about 25 opened the door I had no idea what to say but, "Hi! I have a random question for you: Do you believe in God?" popped out of my mouth, and by some miracle that was what he needed for him to listen to us welcomingly and earnestly desire to learn more about what we have to share.  The Lord has been preparing him and his heart to hear what we have to share. :)  On Sunday night, as we continued to find formers we were walking to our car when a man was letting his cat out of his front door.  I started talking with him and then he let us into his house to talk about our beliefs with him and his friend Connie and we have a return appointment for this upcoming Sunday.

I'm starting to get used to things now... Such as the fact that our apartment smells like old elders.... Nasty.  And then we made vegetarian chili the other day and now it smells like spicy, old elders...?  Also, having everyone say... "Sister Rush and Sister Hill... OH... like Rushin' up the Hill!"  Ha... never heard that one before, until this twentieth time...  Seriously, just because her name is a verb and my name is a common noun, people think that they can turn our names into a sentence... AY.

This week is the week we start plugging our car in.  Yay.  Welcome to Canada!

Lastly, this is the week I'm starting to realize I'm having an identity crisis.  Everyone always forewarns you to be yourself when you go on a mission, and stay true to who you are, but honestly I feel like I've changed so much over the past three months--hopefully for the better--that I don't know who I am anymore.  Sister Rush and I were talking about our love languages last night, and I started to realize why words of affirmation is my far my number one, is because I use other people to judge what I think about myself.  I want people to tell me why I'm great because I don't want to judge who I am for fear of being too prideful so I just don't judge who I am at all.... Plus, I feel like I've changed but I don't know how, so I expect other people to tell me... But can/do other people know the real me???? I think not.  I'm starting to turn more to God to tell me who I am.... I haven't gotten very far yet... So far I've just looked into my patriarchal blessing and found some things from that.  I wish you could see me to evaluate and tell me as people who probably actually know who I am who I am and how I have changed.  I think I know who I was before, and I'm trying to keep/build on that vision of who I want to become... but who is that real me?  Who is the person inside that never changes no matter what other characteristics and personality traits change?  What is it inside of me that will truly remain?  And who does God want me to be?

These are the questions I ponder on and try to figure out...  If you have any insights on how I can figure this out as I continue my journey, please let me know.

As far as Christmas presents go, remember how I requested music? All music that gets sent to me, please make sure that you pay for it.  No remixes or burnt tapes unless it's by an artist who's selling it for free.  Sorry I'm a music copy-right stickler.  Also, recipes would be appreciated.  Letters/notes that tell me why you love me would be great. (Remember how I'm a words of affirmation person?)  

That's it for this week.  Thanks for your support and love, :)
Sister Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment