Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Missionary Work is the WORST. And the BEST.

HOLY MACKEREL.  This has been the longest, hardest, most intense, crazy week of my mission so far.... SOOOO MUCH has happened and SOOO MUCH has changed.

First things first.... I got called to serve as Sister Training Leader over Saskatchewan with Sister Rush.  All it really means is that I have more responsibilities, which really doesn't mean a whole lot, just that I'm a little more stressed.  NOT to mention the fact that I'm opening an area.  AND that I had to make the nine hour drive from Winnipeg, Manitoba to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan in a new car with a companion that's not allowed to drive on very little sleep.  (That is very rare, most people get to SK on a transfer train).  It's a miracle I'm still alive... but I'll tell you more about that later.
 
Before the big exchange, Sister Wu and I had been the most trying few days of our mission combined.  I won't go into the details of what made it so hard, especially on her end, but let's just say our unique and personal trials helped us to bond in a way so that in the last few days of our companionship we were closer than we ever were before.  I can literally call her one of my best friends.
 
Perhaps that is why, when we went on exchanges on Thursday night, I not only cried, but SOBBED my way to sleep.  I haven't cried that much in years... maybe not since high school.  Sister Wu, Elder Mohlman, and I have become pretty good friends.  I always knew and expected that I would be saying goodbye to the investigators one day, but to not know whether I would ever see either of them again, especially since Elder Mohlman is leaving semi-soon, was really hard.  I felt like I had just lost one of my greatest friends.  But it was in this time of sobbing that I realized how much Christ loved me.  He was there with me, weeping right beside me because He loves me more than I love myself.  I felt Him around, consoled by His concern and love.  He is there, but I hope to feel Him in my life more often.  These next two transfers with Sister Rush, my goal is to make Jesus Christ my best friend.
 
The day after exchanges, we had Sister's Conference.  Someone asked me what Halloween is like in Canada.  Honestly I think it's the same but I can't tell you because we were doing sister's conferencey things that night and the next day.  The morning after exchanges, I got the chance to talk with Sister Wu again because it was sisters conference (where all the sisters in the mission get together to discuss missionary work and personal health) and we both decided 
that our perspectives have shifted a lot.  We both had SO much fun together, but we decided we wanted to be focused more on the work.  Not that we aren't, or weren't, but we want to focus on it in a more personal way.  Man, after sister's conference I have decided I want to change so much.  I already have.  I feel almost like a new person before now and then, not to mention how much I've changed since the three months ago I went to the MTC.
 
Holy cow Sister Rush types VERY VERY fast.  Her fingers against the keyboard is a little bit unnerving. 
 
Also on the subject of unnerving, I almost got into a car crash on Saturday.  Not on the way here, but when we got into town.  It gets dark at about six pm here, and I was driving around.  Sister Rush told me how to turn the lights on...and kept telling me they were on... but they weren't.  I was SOOO tired, and so stressed about the fact that I couldn't see (because in reality the lights weren't on and what sister rush thought were the brights were actually the lights) anyways.  I'm not blaming sister Rush... she honestly didn't know.  It was just incredibly stressful.  So in this stress, with blurry eyes from driving all day, I crossed the street and an oncoming car almost hit me.  Honestly, the fact that it didn't hit me is a miracle.  Sister Rush and I could have died.  But I think angels, and probably your prayers kept me alive.  I'm not even kidding.  Before Sister's conference/right after transfers I had Elder Briscoe give me a blessing and in it he said your family is praying for you.  Thank you.  You have no idea how much that means.

On a random note, Sister Rush and I named our car Kyle T. Jackson, KTJ for short.  Why?  We were going to name it Porter Rockwell, and then I named different scout camp site/frontiersman names off and when I said Kyle T. Jackson she really liked it.  SO there you go.  My car is named after Kyle T., who was not in reality a frontiersman, he was just a camp director that acted like one.  Scout camp will never leave you... EVER.  You have no idea how many parallels between missionary work and Scout camp there are... it's weird.

All in all, Moose Jaw is amazing! Sister Rush and I have decided to name in Miraculous Moose Jaw because of how wonderful it is.  It is so quaint, and I can't think of a better place on earth to spend Christmas.  Seriously, I feel like it's one of those little towns that all Christmas movies are set in in they don't take place in New York.  This town could be in a Snow Globe, it's that perfect.  The ward is perfect too.  The bishop is great, the ward council is amazing, and you can just tell that most of the people in the ward really know what the gospel is about.

Also, today is my first day of snow.  Wowsers.  I'm glad I bought my -30 degree rated coat because it keeps me warm in these windy Canadian plains.

Ok... I think that's all the detail I have for you right now.  Life is crazy.  Moose Jaw is great.  The ward is amazing and I love the Sisters I get to serve as Sister Training Leader.  (That really just means I go on exchanges with sisters, they can call me if they are having a hard day, and that I get to attend Missionary Leadership Council).  Ok.  That's that!

Love you!  Sister Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment