This week has been very hard. Why? Sandi Richardson is
getting baptized. Which is SO GREAT! But it also means doom and
torment from the adversary. Some of it has come in the form of me being
hard on myself about things I don't like. Some of it has come from
letting things my companion does bug me instead of just getting over it
or talking to her about it. But the worst kind has come from Satan
attacking my investigators with fear. The ones I've grown closest to,
and are the closest to making big changes in their life, are at that
point where they have to act and move forward, or we can't meet anymore
because they won't let themselves progress. They are feeding off of the
light and the incredible spiritual experiences we have when we meet
with each other, but they aren't willing to feed that fuel and have
those experiences by themselves. And mostly, they are afraid for what
their families and friends will think of them. It breaks my heart. Why
Satan? It makes me so sad that people are afraid of acting on the
truth because they care about the opinions of others.
But that used to be me. All I can say is that I am
so glad I came on a mission. I was terrified, absolutely terrified to
come out here and be scorned and mocked and shamed by others who think I
am a fool. But to be honest, I don't really care as much any more,
because I know what the truth is. The longer I am out here, the more I
want to care what God thinks about me, and the less I care about the
opinions of others. I just want Him to be happy.
Last Wednesday we went on exchanges in Regina with
Sister Denton and Sister Meservy. We almost didn't go because there was
a funeral for the bishop of the ward that day. Overall it was very good.
We helped each other see the importance of appropriate goal setting.
After last weeks report to my mission president, President Thomas, this is what he sent me:
Thanks
for a great report. It sounds like you really are getting an
understanding of your stewardship and how best to help them. I am so
pleased with all of our new Sisters. They are wonderful and seem to have
such strong testimonies and a desire to serve. ... Thanks for all you
are doing and please pace yourself so you don't crash on me. Love you.
Yes... I think I'm getting better at the not
crashing part. Life is hard, but I have decided to be one who acts and
is not acted upon. I have decided to push forward through whatever the
adversary tosses my way.
Lastly, I just want to issue you a challenge.
Yesterday in the Moose Jaw Ward, Bishop Moore asked everyone in the
congregation to read two pages a day from the Book of Mormon. It starts
today, so if you read two pages . Please read it. Ezra Taft
Benson's famous quote: It is not just that the Book of Mormon
teaches us truth, though it indeed does that. It is not just that the Book of
Mormon bears testimony of Christ, though it indeed does that, too. But there is
something more. There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your
lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. You will find greater
power to resist temptation. You will find the power to avoid deception. You
will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path. The scriptures are
called “the words of life” (D&C 84:85), and nowhere is that more true than it is of
the Book of Mormon. When you begin to hunger and thirst after those words, you
will find life in greater and greater abundance.
Sorry this is SO short... I am always running out of time!
I love you all very much and I will let you know my transfer
call next week!
LOVE, Sister Heidi Hill
No comments:
Post a Comment