Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Be Thou My Vision Oh Lord of My Heart

Oh man.  My heart is SO full I just can't explain....  This week was a miracle, and I have learned just Oh so many lessons.  

This week was rough in the beginning.  Sister Hancey and I were definitely feeling the weight of not having an updated area book... and no progressing investigators... and not really knowing the one investigator the elders had that lived an hour and a half away. (Only in the CWM).  We were going through formers on Wednesday, and having NO success... or at least that's what it felt like.  We were so sad, and honestly it was one of those grit-your-teeth-and-endure-because-missions-are-rough sort of days.  

Meanwhile, I have been learning about spiritual gifts.  The Gift of the Holy Ghost acts as a cleanser, and as a sanctifier of our souls.  I have been praying to be sanctified by Him, and trying to purchase the right spiritual gift that I need.  I wanted, and still want, to see the world that God sees it.  And so the thought came to my head to pray for the gift of vision.... and I have learned so much... Keep reading and I'll explain more.

So, Wednesday evening, we called the Sister Training Leaders (who is now Sister Wu by the way! So great!).  She gave us some good advice, and I actually gave some good advice to her and then Sister Hancey and I (who are normally super healthy) took the advice of a good friend and went to McDonalds for dinner.  It was while we were at dinner that we started talking about fun things in our past, and we decided that we needed to start making our lives more fun.  So Sister Hancey started making creepy faces at this little boy... maybe not kosher but hey... and then we went on our way and actually started to have an ok day.  We met a really nice family from formers... and had some pretty funny moments, such as when Sister Hancey was talking to some guys about directions and then yelled, "Oh my gosh!!!! There's a giant squirrel behind your head!!!" and after their startled looks of confusion I leaned over in the car and said, "I'm sorry... She's a little crazy..." Ha.

But seriously, I learned this week that God is so good.  When we were down at our lowest low, we moved forward, and He picked us up to the highest of highs.  But those highs were made so much better because we had been through those lows.  We truly do need opposition in all things.  But when we go through those lows, the highs don't just match where were, but take us even above.

That next day, Sister Hancey and I had many member appointments set up.  One of them was to see Sister H., a lady in the branch that Sister Hancey had met on Sunday and felt prompted to see later in the week.  I said alright, and then we set up and appointment, finding out that she lived 45 minutes away.  That is a lot of Kilometers eaten up, and a lot of time, but we decided she was worth it and we should go anyways.  When we arrived, we met her wonderful non-member father who she was taking care of, and we taught him a member-present lesson about the Book of Mormon. :)  SO great!  Andrew James, the fisherman apostle and our first new investigator.

The miracles only increased from there.  We went to another members house that day, that told us she had been talking with her friend about the gospel, and had invited her to dinner with us someday.  Then, on Saturday, we were able to have a spiritual and blessed experience with the wonderful Anderson family (who just lost their husband and father).  It was amazing.

But also incredible is what happened that night.  Lucky became an investigator!!!!!!!  and his son William.  What just happened?  Usually we knock on other peoples' doors to have them become investigators.  This time, Lucky knocked on ours.  Long story short, we opened the door, they offered us a St. Patty's day cake, and as we ate from that cake in our hallway, Lucky, whose actual name is Brent, opened up.  He broke down, and I felt the darkness of where he was in, and the sincerity of his pleadings because I've been in a similar place before.  But really the Spirit worked through us, because Christ has been there before.  And-- He and his son came to church on Sunday.  And, our branch was so good to him.  Thank you, Selkirk.

AND Brother Holmes brought his grandson to church.  He's 12, we taught him last night, and he wants to be baptized.  GAH!!!!!  I feel SO blessed.  Seriously.  Not too long after we get here, everything starts exploding.  I feel so blessed, and I know many of the reasons why Selkirk NEEDED sisters right now.

Also, another miracle.  Brooklyn is taking the lessons again from Sister WU!!!! She had stopped learning, and then I wrote to her, and then the YSA got in contact with her but had yet to start teaching her.  But as of last week, the Sister Training Leaders and Zone Leaders started using facebook so Sister Wu got ahold of her, and I believe that yesterday they had their first meeting over skype. :)!!!!

I have truly been blessed with the gift of vision as I have gone through this week.  Whether it was learning from the members I talked to, or experiencing the gift of Charity in my heart.  This week I learned that our eyes and our hearts are connected if we see as God sees. God sees everything.  He sees all of our flaws and all of our imperfections, and yet, He still loves us perfectly.  And thus it needs to be the same if we are to see as God sees.  We need to realize peoples flaws and imperfections, and then move beyond and love because we know through the Savior's Redeeming Grace what they can become.  Incredible.  To see as God sees is to love unconditionally.

 Pray for a spiritual gift that you need to help with the concerns you have in your life right now.  It could be optimism, it could be obedience, it could be love.  I know that as you do, the Holy Ghost with sanctify you, and magnify your life.  I love you all. :)  
 
Sister Heidi Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment