Monday, April 28, 2014

From Boys to Men

My life has been full of good fun this week.  Mostly with my all-male crew.  For starters, we went up to Patricia Beach to see Andrew James, or AJ.  Oh man I love that old man.  He has the biggest, softest bear paws I've ever shaken.  He is so hilarious.  We played Sorry, had dinner, talked about the Resurrection and invited him to church.  He didn't come, but trust me, his viewpoint on the church has changed so much since we've met him.

Thursday we taught my favorite triplets, Noah, Conner and Elliot about the restoration of the gospel using Star Wars Legos.  Unfortunately, Sister Hancey has never seen Star Wars so it made it a little difficult, but it was still fun none the less.

Then on Friday, instead of watching "No More Baths" for our Branch Missionary Activity, we made a last minute switch to "Rigoletto".  The movie was so great, but the turn-out was much less than expected, and afterwards I said the closing prayer.  Not too much later a man, who is normally very crusty towards me and crusty in his opinion of others' potential came up to me.  He looked like he had tears brimming in his eyes and he said, "Sister Hill, you look sort of down tonight.  What's wrong?" 

"I do?  Really?"  He just nodded.  This was SO unexpected.  I thought I was fine because missionaries have bad days all of the time, and so I feel like I've learned to just handle the brunt and move on, but as I began to speak tears slowly filled my eyes and flowed down my cheeks.  (Luckily, I think only three other members saw).  "I guess... I just... All I want to do is help people change and I can't.  I'm helpless."  

I set down the bowl of popcorn I held.  He turned to one of the gawking members and said, "Kerry, you served a mission right? Was it hard?"
"Oh yeah.  The hardest thing I did except child birth."  Then she swooped me in my arms and I started doing the shoulder moving sobs.  Super embarassing.  But, hey.  I guess I need a good cry every now and then.  Kerry's basically like my sister anyways so it was fine.

Funny Moment of the week came as I taught probably my favorite family: Kim and her kids.  After the closing prayer, Troy leaned in close to me and whispered in my ear "I like your big nose."  Ha. :o)

So yeah, that's been the week.  I've learned more about humility and more about love.  It's all about the motives.  Always.  God's taught me patience, and I'm sure he'll do it again.  


Job 1:20-21

20. Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped,

21. Ans said, Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.

Love Always,


Your Favorite Sister Heidi Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment