Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Pearl of Great Price

So, for everyone's knowledge, those berries we picked last week, were delicious! Just thought you ought to know.

Well, as per usual, this week has been full of excitement.  During Zone Training Meeting this week we got a text for a media referral.  Sister Porter called the number to set up an appointment for the next day, and it turns out he lived in the Mental Hospital.  We thought, "Ok" and went.  We had no idea that we were going to be put in a highly secure room, wanded down and have our stuff checked.  That was super exciting.  I can't say I've ever had a lesson video taped before either, but the spirit was definitely present.  He has been learning all he can about Jesus Christ and when he heard of the Book of Mormon he asked to meet with the local missionaries.  Well friends and family, that would be us.

We also were able to meet a less active lady that lives in the same part of the hospital on Sunday.  Sister Marx, the mission psychiatrist and a member in Winnipeg have gone to meet her several times, and they asked us to come along.  She is from the Congo.  Luckily we were able to meet with her outside and didn't need a security pat down.

On Wednesday we went fishing with some members and a LONG time investigator up by MacArther Falls. (Also a place in the middle of nowhere. Our area has a lot of that.  It's great.)  We had a wonderful time looking at the sun set over the Winnipeg River and the pelicans and seagulls fly around.  It was also while we were there that I realized how fishing is a perfect analogy for faith.  We must wait.  We can't see if the fish are in the water or not, but we cast our nets in anyways and decided to try.  Faith is an active word, but it still isn't totally in our control.  We might not get as many fish (or answers) as we want, or get them when we want them.  But that's why people like fishing in the first place; it's a different journey that unfolds differently every time.  Even in the same spot looking for the same kind of fish.  The waters are different, and the fisherman is smarter the next time too.

The best part of our week however was being able to witness Howie get baptized and confirmed on Sunday.  These two special ordinances are so key in our progression in the gospel, and being able to baptize so many children recently, I feel like I have gained a special witness of the importance for these ordinances early in our life.  So many people see the commitments as the end, but they truly are a gate; they are merely a beginning to a life full of wonderful opportunities and blessings that are made sweeter when we have these covenants in place.

While we were in our first meeting in the mental hospital, our investigator asked if my necklace was a pearl.  I said it was.  He asked if I knew that Parable, about the Pearl of Great Price.  I said I did.  The parable can be found in Matthew 13:

Again the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it.

That is what Jesus needs. He can't work with part of us, He needs us to let go of ALL we have, and follow Him. When He is the center of our lives, then everything falls into place. Is life trail free? NO. But it it the only way things are worth anything, by being worth Everything. 

I love you! Sister Heidi Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment