Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Most Powerful Question

A LOT has happened this week.  I will try to mention it all in the time I have left.   The first is a very sweet experience we had with a lady we are teaching from El Salvador.  She did not finish reading 2 Nephi 31, so we gave her an El Libro de Mormon and we started to finish reading it with her, each of us taking a verse, as reading in English and her aloud in Spanish about Spirit Sante and El Padre and Jesus (You know how to pronounce it; good job).  It talks a lot about the doctrine of Christ, receiving baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost.  As we talked about those gifts, and what having the Holy Ghost in her life would mean, the spirit prompted me to invite her to be baptized.  I'm always a little nervous to ask it, because it's such an intense question.  If you think about you are inviting somebody to accept Eternal Life in the Kingdom of God.  As I asked her, the spirit hit the room and she started to cry.  She looked down, and then said, "I'm sorry.  I just wish so much that my daughter could be here right now too to hear what you have to say."  Then she got up and grabbed a tissue.  Sister Meservy asked her "How do you feel right now?"  and she couldn't explain.  I asked, "Does it feel like your heart is full?"  She nodded her head. "I feel it too," I said.  Sister Meservy then re-asked her if she would accept the invitation to be baptized and she said, sweetly,"Yes."  Oh it was so sweet.  The spirit was testifying to her that the choice to be baptized was right, and we explained that to her too.

The next great experience came as I got to go back to Moose JAW! this week for exchanges!!!!  I served with Sister Veylupek, the newest sister in the mission.  She is so great.  Anyways, I got to introduce her to Sandi, who I helped receive the ordinance of baptism and confirmation back in January and it was so great.  Sandi is an amazing example of strength and I love her so much!  The best part though, was that she was able to be out member present at a lesson with Jesse!  That's right: the sisters started teaching Jesse again!  We were going to just teach about the Holy Ghost and invite him to check out Mormon.org, but the spirit prompted to read 2 Nephi 31 with him too.  After we read and talked, I told him we had two questions for him.  The first was to re-read and ponder on this chapter.  I turned to Sister Veylupek, expecting her to invite him to visit Mormon.org like we had planned on, but to my great surprise, she invited him to be baptized.  I was SO shocked.  I just sat there and looked at my scriptures... but as I looked, I realized that she had done the right thing.  How can you talk about these things and then not invite?  He brought up some concerns that he had, but then I asked him if those concerns were gone if he would be baptized and he said yes. :)  I know that he can be ready this time.  One of the other amazing miracles?  His mom lives in my current area and he gave me his number so we can meet with and explain to her what he wants to do:)  Yessss!!!!! 

So many great things have happened this week, but those are the highlights.  I used to remember watching the district thinking: wow, the experiences those missionaries are having is incredible.  But now I think that I can relate, and it IS incredible! :)

I love you all!  I hope you're having the best day ever!
 
Love always, Sister Heidi Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment