Sunday, January 25, 2015

Line Upon Line



It was Wednesday morning, about 11 and we were in our way to see our back up at that time: Tammy. On our way, I saw a person with short hair walking with an awkward looking TV down the street. I felt like we needed to stop our car and help this person out. After figuring out a place to pare a couple of blocks away, we walked out of the car to see the person holding the TV about to cross the street right in front of us. We stopped the person and asked if we could help out at all, only to find out that it was a lady and her name was Tammy. We walked with her for a while and as we walked, she told us that she had seen missionaries all around, and she had always had questions about God and wished that they would come and talk to her, but they never did. She was pretty hurt and upset that the missionaries never came her way, and she asked that we “talk with [our] boss about it, because it was hurtful”, so here you go – the importance of talking to EVERYONE. I’m sure missionaries couldn’t tell she was prepared, but if we missionaries had talked with her in the past we would have found someone ready and ripe. We never ended up being able to get her info because our conversation ended in the pawn shop as she talked with a worker there, but we left her our card, and I pray that we can see her in the future.

Later in the day we found that one of our elderly less actives was in the hospital.  We found her in a bed there.  When we asked to share a thought, she wanted to have us share it at the plaza.  We didn't know where that was, but we assumed she did.  We helped her to get up and out of the room, and the next thing I know she's asking the nurse where the place was and if she could have a tour.  The nurse said, "what tour?  I don't give tours."  Determined, our elderly friend meandered down the hall and knocked on the door of the head doctor in the Gastro-Intestinal Unit (not even her own unit).  The doctor came out and our elderly friend asked for the tour, and also to see the tub.  The doctor looked at us in confusion and we told her we were sorry and got out of there.  But our friend was still determined and asked one of the Janitors saying, "This good-looking guy will help me." and then "Don't you ever smile?" when he didn't respond.  Luckily though, the "good looking" janitor helped us to find this tub.  It was quite the adventure.

Thursday was a very sacred experience for me.  It was my last exchange.  I was in Moose Jaw with Sister Porter.  She has grown so much.  We taught in unity the entire time.  When I looked at her, she talked, and it was well thought out and spirit led, every time.  Every person we saw had grown so much too, especially an old lady.  She told us, "I used to wonder why I lived so long when people died so early, but I realized that it's only in the last year (or since sister's started visiting her) that I have learned to forgive my husband for all of the hurt he's done to me, and I've learned to forgive myself."  It was SO good to hear.  Last year she would not even pray, and was convinced that God did not love her.  She would read from the Book of Mormon though.  She still reads form the Book of Mormon and now she prays every morning and night!  At first it was hard to see the change in her until she made that comment, but the Lord has worked with her line upon line for this past year, and it is wonderful to know that sisters being there has made a difference.

Ron's out of the picture for January 31st, but I know that he can do this.  It won't happen today or tomorrow, but it will happen on his and the Lord's time.  Like our old friend in Moose Jaw, usually small but significant changes take a long time.

I know that we need to choose every day if we are going to make those small, but foundational choices that lead to significant effects on our inner light and spirit over time.  Choose with the end in mind.

Thanks for your support and love!
Sister Heidi Hill


No comments:

Post a Comment