Thursday, January 29, 2015

Riddle Me This...

How is it that on my Second to last week here, my 18th month mark to be exact, that I ate Moose and Baloot!!! (Baloot is a Filipino food if you don't know.  It is a duck egg that has it's little embryo grown to a full fetus.  It is hard boiled, but the fetus for the most part is soft and squishy, except for the bones: those are crunchy.)

We ate Moose at Shanon's.  Her cousin/uncle or maybe her uncle's cousin... I'm not sure... killed it and gave her some of the meat.  She made a gravy with it, and it was surprisingly good.  I never thought I would actually try Moose, but there you go.

We ate the Baloot at the Macarana's, and Nikki, another Lewvan Filipino came and showed us how it was done, eating three herself that night. :)  I was pretty upset at first when I found out that the elders requested it for this meal appointment because I had tried to go my entire mission without having it, but alas, it wasn't as bad as I thought (minus the crunch and the pops and the weird taste that goes with the squish... but it didn't last too long.  Most of it was yolk which was ok.)

The weirdest was getting my exit interview about 10 days too early.  Because there are 19 of us going home this transfer, President is making a tour around the mission to say goodbye to everybody.  The interview was really good.  President was able to offer a lot of great advice on things that have been on my mind.  The weird part was when the tears started to come.  I have been doing really good about being here and not really being worried or nervous about the transition, but it was great.  The rest of Sunday was really weird, and kind of hard to focus, but I think I'm getting into the swing of things.

We were blessed enough to hit our goal of one new investigator this week at the VERY LAST appointment Sunday night.  We had tried and tried and tried a million stop-by's and potentials.  Everyone kept bailing.  On Saturday we literally went to ten stop-by's in a row with no success.  It was humbling, and it made me grateful for the success I've been able to see at other times.  At the very end, our last stop-by before our set appointment, I decided that all of my prayers (because you pray before every possible thing you do pretty much), were too focused on what I wanted to happen.  I expressed this after that prayer before the last stop-by, so I told this to Sister Smith, and we said another prayer on the spot, just for gratitude.  It really helped.  I realized how blessed I was, and I was able to better feel the Spirit and God's love. :)

So there you go.  Don't be afraid to try new things and always be grateful, even when you feel like there is little to be grateful for!

Love you lots!!! Thank you <3
Sister Heidi Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment