Soooo...
Life is so good!!! I would say awesome or cool but apparently those are Canada Winnipeg Mission swear words and Sis Wu always says "What did you just say?" whenever either of those slip out of my mouth. Unfortunately it seems as if those two words make up half of my vocabulary so life is getting rather difficult. I've tried to use several other replacement adjectives such as: superb, sublime, filled-with-awe (to replace awesome), good, great, grand, neat, and all of them sound terrible and don't express how I feel. Sometimes something is just cool, or a situation is awesome, not superb or grand or something superfluous of the like. I have yet to find my unique Sister Hill mission lingo. Apparently there is also mission wide lingo that people have started to say that drives Sister Wu crazy! Such examples include: "Ya you did!" and "HO (pause) LY! (pause)"
Who is this mysterious Sister Wu you ask? My trainer. She's 4'11' and full of spunk. And yes, she is Chinese, but she's Canadian born so she's definitely western. She keeps all of the rules, but knows how to be chill too. (Hallelujah! I was hoping I would get a trainer like her!) We take an hour for all meals and it makes life so much better. (Not that life is bad--it's excellent but breaks are nice). I even took a nap during lunch one day, but then I had five minutes to eat and I ended up scarfing down half a hot-dog bun and pickled beets for lunch. Yum! ;)
Sister Wu and I are serving in the Winnipeg YSA Ward with a couple of Elders. Guess who found out ten minutes before church they were teaching Gospel Principles? That's right. Wu-Hill. Guess who led the music and played the piano in RS? Wu-Hill. Ha. Ward Missionary Service begins. The ward is small but great. There are about 10 Phillipinos, 10 Canadians, Five Chinese, a Korean, 15 First Nations (which is Canadian for Native American), two women from Sri Lanka and two Americans (including me:)) OH and there was also a Nigerian man visiting.
I love Winnipeg. Can I just say that? I love this city. It was made for me! It is just the perfect mix of big and small, diverse yet calm, and right now at least the weather is great. But mostly I love the diversity! Sister Wu and I have had some great street contacting experiences with an incredible Sikh man, a couple Canadians, and a young man from Ghana! So good! It is incredible when people want to know more, you tell them about the restoration and they get this happy look on there face. You invite them to meet with missionaries like you and they accept!!! SO good!!!
The hardest part is not the missionary work itself. The hardest part is jumping in and trying to keep everyone that is already under Sister Wu's wing. Formers, members of the ward, possible investigators, not to mention the 100s of elders and sisters in the HUGE mission. (Two time Zones in the mission mind you).
One of the people is sweet sweet Hester from China. She had her baptism date set up before I got here (the 24th of August) and now Sister Wu and I are just teaching her the commandments so she can be ready. When teaching her yesterday I asked if she wanted to go back to China when she's done with school. She said no. "I want to stay in Canada... My God is here." *-* SO CUTE!!!!!!!
Other than that my favorite part of the lesson was when she gave sister Wu and I packets of green tea at the end... We kind of looked at her and said "Ok... Thanks"... We'll teach her about the Word of Wisdom tonight. Ha. :)
Thanks for the love y'all!
Sister Hill
No comments:
Post a Comment