Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Awful Falafel

So.... My week.

Well... it did not start out very well.  A lot of appointments were dropped Tuesday, and Wednesday was... interesting.  We went to deliver posters for the world-wide Christmas devotional at other churches in town and many church leaders/receptionists were nice, and then others weren't nice at all....  The way one guy talked, he was saying the meanest things is the most nonchalant way and it was SOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!!! And then for lunch, we thought we would be all exciting and fry up the mushed up chickpeas and white kidney beans we had to make falafel.... Yeah.  NASTY.  Let's just say, it ended up turning into oily-garlicy-chickpea soup because the falafel disinigrated in the hot oil... and our house STILL reeks of it!!!  SO gross!  We are DEEP cleaning our Deep-fried house as soon as email time is over.

But since then things have gotten a lot better.  Overall Sister Rush and I are starting to understand each other a bit more.  Not that we were horrible before... she was just a little... intimidating.  Like been on the mission for 12 more months than I have, but is also three years older than me and is super intense intimidating.  Plus she has, in her own words, a "volatile" personality.... Which can be really scary when she's upset.  But... we are starting to get a lot more used to each other now.  I am starting to realize that she does have some weaknesses and I do have strengths, and we are a lot more equal as companions than I thought.  I am also starting to get out of this identity crisis, which is nice....  Although I do have a feeling I might have another one the next time I transfer or get moved to a new area... So this should be interesting.  Luckily though, I think I'll be in good old Moose Jaw for a while.

Things also got better when we went on exchanges to Regina with Sister Lane (from Alberta)and Sister Denton (from England).  They are in the Wascana Ward.  I think overall this was possibly the most informative exchange of the whole transfer.  They learned a lot about different ways of finding, and we found out better ways to work with the members.  They were really down on themselves because they are not finding as many people to teach as another sister who left the area was, but I'm really glad we were there to bouy them up and teach them what it truly means to be a successful missionary (and it has nothing to do with the numbers, because let's face it--as hard we may try the people we get to teach are truly gifts of God.)  Sister Denton is super sweet though.  She is SO kind, and so thoughtful, and so loving, and I definitely want to be more like her.  I also think the exchange helped her to break out of her shell, which was way good!

Then on Friday we had MLC which was very intense. (Missionary Leadership Council where Assistants to the President, Zone Leaders, and Sister Training Leaders discuss the progress of the mission). I was asked to give a portion on key issues I noted during exchanges and one of them was the lack of communication between some district leaders and sisters... well that almost blew up.  Elders started getting all defensive and if the meeting weren't over video conference I'm pretty sure there might have been some blood drawn when Sister Rush and Sister Needham pulled out their claws!  Whew!  That was dicey...  We also had to set a new baptisimal goal for next year and it started getting a little heated as well.  It was fun though, and in the end we settled on.... 225!

The best part though is I think when we taught J. He is the one I found looking for formers.  At the end of the lesson (which was pretty powerful) we had him say a kneeling prayer and he had a hard time at first.  You could tell that Satan was working on him.  But in the silence Sister Rush and I prayed for him in our hearts super hard, and when he spoke he said one of the most spirit-filled and sincere prayers I have heard.  SOOOO GOOOOOD.

Man I love Moose Jaw!  I have the best ward ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The people are so friendly, so much fun, and so willing to help with missionary work.  I love them!!!!!!!!!!!

I love you all!
Heidi/Sister Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment